Exceptional Grandparents Class
Being a Grandparent today is not the same as it was 20 years ago. As the old saying goes, “I raised you and you turned out fine”, holds true, but trust me folks, some things have changed. This class is designed to help grandparents understand the recommended guidelines for caring for their grandchildren and supporting “their children” as they take on the parent role. It is not your usual baby care class (i.e. diapering, bathing).
Topics we discuss:
- Positive communication with parents- It’s so important!
- Growth and Development
- Bedtime routines
- Common health concerns: vaccines, nutrition (baby food vs. solids), common illnesses, medications
- Safety (common injuries, sleep, car seats, child proofing, smoking, drug abuse)
- The power and importance of play
- Media use
- Positive mental health- Discipline (“Sparing the Rod” vs. “Spoiling”)
What to expect in this class:
This 1 to 1.5 hours class is very relaxed with open discussion about the above topics. It can be done in your home, group setting or virtually. If there is a particular topic you are concerned about let us know and we will do our best to help you feel more confident about the concern. Handouts will be given out at class or emailed to you if you do the visual class.